Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- nominative plural masculine form of īsts
- truly, really, genuinely, legitimately; adverbial form of īsts
- īsti vai pa jokam? — really or jokingly (= is it really so, or are you kidding me)?
- kas viņš īsti ir? — who is he, really (= without lies)?
- tikai tagad Ieva īsti apzinās, ko nozīmē dienas un mēneši bez Jorena — only now did Ieva truly realize what days and months without Jorens means
- tad tu vis īsti vēl nezini, vai tevi mīlēju — so you don't truly know if I loved you
- ja tev dzīve atstājusi brūci, / kas ar gadiem īsti negrib dzīt, / atceries, dod spēku tikai mīla — if life left you a wound / that really doesn't want to heal with the years / remember: only love gives strength
- exactly, precisely
- laikam bija noticis kas nelāgs; bet kas īsti? — maybe something bad had happened; but what exactly?
- vīri tīrumā bija ieraudzījuši ciemā ugunsgreku... bet nevarēja zināt, kur īsti deg — the men in the field had seen a fire in the village... but they couldn't know where exactly it was burning
- padoma došana ir arī sava ziņā grūta un īsti tādiem cilvēkiem, kuri gandrīz ikkatru padomu pieņem — giving advice is also somewhat difficult exactly for those people who take almost every advice
- really, very much, a lot, thoroughly
- dabūt īsti nostrādāties — to get to really work (= work a lot)
- pa īstam — really, a lot