Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (5th BC Attic): IPA: /bo͜ostropʰɛ͜ɛdón/
- (1st BC Egyptian): IPA: /buːstropʰeːdón/
- (4th AD Koine): IPA: /βustroɸiðón/
- (10th AD Byzantine): IPA: /vustrofiðón/
- (15th AD Constantinopolitan): IPA: /vustɾofiðón/
- boustrophedon: a manner of writing which alternated between left to right and right to left directions (similar to the back and forth pattern of someone plowing a field with an ox); an intermediate between the inherited right to left direction used by Semitic languages and the left to right direction ultimately used in later Greek.
- English: boustrophedon