Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
कुरु (kuru) m
- (plural) Name of a people of India and of their country (situated near the country of the पञ्चालs; hence often connected with पञ्चाल or पञ्चाल [see कुरु-पञ्च्° below]: the उत्तर-कुरवः, or उत्तराः कुरवः are the northern कुरुs, the most northerly of the four महा-द्वीपs or principal divisions of the known world [distinguished from the दक्षिणाः कुरवः or southern कुरुs], by other systems regarded as one of the nine divisions or वर्षs of the same; it was probably a country beyond the most northern range of the हिमालय, often described as a country of everlasting happiness, and considered by some to be the ancient home of the Aryan race)
- Name of the ancestor of the कुरुs (son of संवरण and तपती, daughter of the sun; कुरु is the ancestor of both पाण्डु and धृत-राष्ट्र, though the patronymic derived from his name is usually applied only to the sons of the latter, the sons and descendants of the former being called पाण्डवs)
- Name of a son of आग्नीध्र and grandson of प्रिय-व्रत.
- boiled rice.
- the plant Solanum jacquini (= कण्टकारिका) L.
कुरु (kuru) f
- a princess of the कुरु race (compare कौरव, etc.)
- Monier William's Sanskrit-English Dictionary, 2nd Ed. 1899