Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
तीर्थ (tīrtha) n
- (Hinduism) a passage, way, road, ford, stairs for landing or for descent into a river, bathing-place, place of pilgrimage on the banks of sacred streams, piece of water.
- the path to the altar between the चात्वाल and उत्कर.
- the usual or right way or manner.
- the right place or moment.
- advice, instruction, counsel, adviser, preceptor.
- certain lines or parts of the hand sacred to the deities.
- object of veneration, sacred object.
- worthy person.
- person worthy of receiving anything.
- name of certain counsellors of a king.
- one of the ten orders of ascetics founded by शंकराचार्य (its members add the word तीर्थ to their names)
- a woman's courses.
- Monier William's Sanskrit-English Dictionary, 2nd Ed. 1899.