Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
स्था (√sthā) (class 1 root)
- cl.1 P. Ā. (Dhātup. xxii, 30) तिष्ठति, °ते (pf. तस्थौ, तस्थे RV. etc. ; aor. अस्थात्, अस्थित ib. ; 3. pl. अस्थिरन् RV. AV. Br. ; आस्थत् [?] AV. ; अस्थिषि, °षत Br. etc. ; Subj. स्थाति, स्थाथः RV. ; Prec. स्थेयात् ib. ; स्थेषम्, °षुः [?] AV. ; स्थासीष्ट Gr. ; fut. स्थाता MBh. etc. ; स्थास्यति, °ते Br. etc. ; inf. स्थातुम् ib. ; °तोस् Br. GṛṠrS. ; -स्थितुम् R. ; ind.p. स्थित्वा MBh. etc. ; -स्थाय RV. etc. ; -स्थायम् Bhaṭṭ.), to stand, stand firmly, station one's self, stand upon, get upon, take up a position on (with पादाभ्याम्, ‘to stand on the feet’ ; with जानुभ्याम्, ‘to kneel’ ; with अग्रे or अग्रतस् and gen., ‘to stand or present one's self before’ ; with पुरस् and with or without gen., ‘to stand up against an enemy etc.’).
- to stay, remain, continue in any condition or action (e.g. with कन्या, ‘to remain a girl or unmarried’ ; with तूष्णीम् or with मौनेन instr. ‘to remain silent’ ; with सुखम्, ‘to continue or feel well’).
- to remain occupied or engaged in, be intent upon, make a practice of, keep on, persevere in any act (with loc. ; e.g. with राज्ये, ‘to continue governing’ ; with शासने, ‘to practise obedience’ ; with बले, ‘to exercise power’ ; with स्व-धर्मे, ‘to do one's duty’ ; with स्व-कर्मणि, ‘to keep to one's own business’ ; with संशये, ‘to persist in doubting’ ; also with ind.p. e.g. धर्मम् आश्रित्य, ‘to practise virtue’).
- to continue to be or exist (as opp. to ‘perish’), endure, last.
- to be, exist, be present, be obtainable or at hand.
- to be with or at the disposal of, belong to (dat. gen., or loc.).
- (Ā. mc. also P. compare Pāṇ. 1-3, 23 ; iv, 34) to stand by, abide by, be near to, be on the side of, adhere or submit to, acquiesce in, serve, obey (loc. or dat.).
- to stand still, stay quiet, remain stationary, stop, halt, wait, tarry, linger, hesitate (» under स्थित्वा below).
- to behave or conduct one's self (with समम्, ‘to behave equally towards any one’ loc.)
- to be directed to or fixed on (loc.).
- to be founded or rest or depend on, be contained in (loc.).
- to rely on, confide in (loc. e.g. मयि स्थित्वा, ‘confiding in me’).
- to stay at, resort to (acc.).
- to arise from (abl. or gen.).
- to desist or cease from (abl.).
- to remain unnoticed (as of no importance), be left alone (only Impv. and Pot.) Kāv. Pañcat. : Pass. स्थीयते (aor. अस्थायि), to be stood etc. (frequently used impers. e.g. मया स्थीयताम्, ‘let it be abided by me’ i.e. ‘I must abide’) Br. etc. etc.: Caus. स्थापयति, °ते (aor. अतिष्ठिपत् ; ind.p. स्थापयित्वा [q.v.] and -स्थापम्: Pass. स्थाप्यते), to cause to stand, place, locate, set, lay, fix, station, establish, found, institute.
- to set up, erect, raise, build.
- to cause to continue, make durable, strengthen, confirm.
- to prop up, support, maintain.
- to affirm, assent.
- to appoint (to any office loc.).
- to cause to be, constitute, make, appoint or employ as (two acc. ; with धात्रीम्, ‘to employ any one as a nurse’ ; with रक्षार्थम्, ‘to appoint any one as guardian’ ; with सज्जम्, ‘to make anything ready’ ; with सु-रक्षितम्, ‘to keep anything well guarded’ ; with स्वीकृत्य, ‘to make anything one's own’ ; with परिशेषम्, ‘to leave anything over or remaining’).
- to fix, settle, determine, resolve.
- to fix in or on, lead or bring into, direct or turn towards (loc., rarely acc. ; with हृदि, ‘to impress on the heart’ ; with मनस्, ‘to fix the mind on’).
- to introduce or initiate into, instruct in (loc. e.g. with नये, ‘to instruct in a plan or system’).
- to make over or deliver up to (loc. or हस्ते with gen., ‘into the hands of’).
- to give in marriage.
- to cause to stand still, stop, arrest, check, hold, keep in, restrain (with बद्ध्वा, ‘to keep bound or imprisoned’).
- to place aside, keep, save, preserve MBh. Hariv. : Desid. of Caus. -स्थापयिषति (» सं-√स्था): Desid. तिष्ठासति, to wish to stand etc. ṠBr. : Intens. तेष्ठीयते
- तास्थेति, तास्थाति Gr. ([compare Gk. ἱ-στάναι ; Lat. stare ; Lith. sto4ti ; Slav. stati ; Germ. sta7n, stehen ; Eng. stand.])
- तिष्ठति (tíṣṭhati) — to stand
- स्थल् (sthal) — to stand firm
- स्थान (sthā́na) — standing, posture
- स्थाणु (sthāṇu) — standing firmly
- स्थापन (sthāpana) — causing to stand
- स्थैर्य (sthairya) — stability
- Monier William's Sanskrit-English Dictionary, 2nd Ed. 1899.