Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
The name means "unbending", for "anti-" (against) and "gon" ("bend" as in "polygon"). It also means "anti-generation", i.e., "the opposite of her ancestors".
- (5th BC Attic): IPA: /antiɡónɛ͜ɛ/
- (1st BC Egyptian): IPA: /antiɣóneː/
- (4th AD Koine): IPA: /antiɣóni/
- (10th AD Byzantine): IPA: /antiɣóni/
- (15th AD Constantinopolitan): IPA: /ãdiɣóni/
- p. 1001 in S. C. Woodhouse’s English-Greek Dictionary: A Vocabulary of the Attic Language. Routledge & Kegan Paul Limited. 1950.