Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (Classical) IPA: /hùpér/, later IPA: /hỳpér/
- (Koine) IPA: /yˈper/ or IPA: /iˈper/
- (Byzantine) IPA: /yˈper/, later IPA: /iˈper/
- (+ exceeding abundantly) above, in (on) behalf of, beyond, by, + very chiefest, concerning, exceeding (above, -ly), for, + very highly, more (than), of, over, on the part of, for sake of, in stead, than, to (-ward), very.
- A primary preposition; “over”, that is, (with the genitive case) of place, above, beyond, across, or causal, for the sake of, instead, regarding; with the accusative case superior to, more than. In compounds it retains many of the listed applications.
- In compounds it retains many of the above applications.