Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- In the beginning of the Qin Dynasty, skilled archers were highly prized, and often given positions of responsibility within the government. By the Han Dynasty, the púyè became assistants to prominant ministers (such as the Minister Steward). By the Tang Dynasty, the power of the púyè rivaled that of the Imperial Chancellor's. Subsequently, the position of púyè was phased out.
仆射 (simplified, Pinyin 僕射), traditional
The character 射 is almost always pronounced shè. This is one of the very few compounds where it is pronounced yè.
- 仆射 on the Mandarin Wikipedia.zh.Wikipedia
- "仆射" (in Mandarin), Baidu Online Encyclopedia. URL accessed on 2008-12-23.
- "仆射" (in Mandarin), Guoyu Cidian On-line Mandarin Dictionary (國語辭典). URL accessed on 2008-12-23.
- 2007, Hanyu Da Cidian 3.0 (in Mandarin), Hong Kong: Commercial Press, ISBN 9789620702778: