Phono-semantic compound (形聲): semantic 女 (“female, woman”) + phonetic 也. Originally a variant of 姐 ("elder sister"), later repurposed as a feminine third-person pronoun. Linguist Liu Bannong is credited with coining this use in September 1920.
Han character 
- KangXi: page 255, character 5
- Dai Kanwa Jiten: character 6046
- Dae Jaweon: page 518, character 5
- Hanyu Da Zidian: volume 2, page 1029, character 2
- Unihan data for U+5979
她 (traditional and simplified, Romanization taa1)
- Penkyamp: tä
她 (traditional and simplified, Pinyin tā)
- Nà rén shuō , nǐ suǒ cìgĕi wǒ , yǔ wǒ tóngjū de nǚrén , tā bà nà shù shàng de guǒzi gĕi wǒ , wǒ jiù chī le .
- And the man said, The woman whom thou gavest to be with me, she gave me of the tree, and I did eat.
Han character