Compound of ko (“small, light, slight”) and same (“rain”). The medial -s- either represents epenthesis between two vowels or, more likely, is a reflex of an older form of the word ame (“rain”) only maintained in fossilized compounds. See also harusame (“spring rain”) and shine (“rice”).
小雨 (hiragana こさめ, romaji kosame)
- light rain, drizzle
- 931-938: Wamyō Ruijushō (book 1 page 24)
- 霡霂 兼名苑云、細雨一名霡霂、小雨也、麥木二音、已上本注、和名古佐女
- 大雨 (おおあめ, ōame, “downpour”).
- 晴一時小雨 (hare ichiji kosame): clear, with brief light rain
- 小雨決行 (shōu kekkō): canceled only in case of heavy rain
小雨 (traditional and simplified, Pinyin xiǎoyǔ)
- light rain