|Kanji in this term|
|あい||あい||かさ > がさ|
- Sharing an umbrella, especially in a romantic situation.
- aiaigasa de sanpo shiteiru futari ga mukō ni miemasu.
- You can see a couple walking together under an umbrella over there.
- A slang term to indicate that two people are going out together.
- sono futari wa mō aiaigasa da wa.
- Those two are already sharing an umbrella, don't you know.
相合傘 has a strong romantic implication, which stems from the fact that it is a play on words. The first two characters are pronounced あい, which is homonymic of the word 愛 (あい, ai), which means love, and thus the connotation is that both people under the umbrella are in love.