Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
|Kanji in this term|
- to pass; to go beyond
- ano ko mo omocha de asobu toshi wa sugiru koro da.
- He will soon be past playing with toys.
- to elapse; to exceed
- (auxiliary) to overdo (verb)
- (auxiliary) to do too much of (verb)
- amari sake o nomisugiru no wa, kiken da.
- It is dangerous to drink too much.
- When used as an auxiliary, it is usually written in kana: すぎる
- Can also be attached to adjectives in some situations
- When すぎる is attached to the end of other verbs and adjectives is denotes the meaning of "too much".
- (verbs) You attach the verb directly to the stem or the continuative form (連用形) of the verb:
- (na-adjectives) The verb is simply attached to the adjectives:
- (i-adjectives) You remove the last い (i) before attaching the verb: