- 1 Translingual
- 2 Cantonese
- 3 Japanese
- 4 Korean
- 5 Mandarin
- 6 Vietnamese
釵 (radical 167 金+3, 11 strokes, cangjie input 金水戈 (CEI), four-corner 87140)
- ornamental hairpin
- KangXi: page 1297, character 11
- Dai Kanwa Jiten: character 40191
- Dae Jaweon: page 1800, character 18
- Hanyu Da Zidian: volume 6, page 4173, character 14
- Unihan data for U+91F5
釵 (simplified 钗, Yale cha1, chaai1)
Etymology 1Wikipedia ja Wikipedia
This character was originally used in Japanese to mean hairpin, and was read with a kun'yomi of kanzashi. The similarity in shape between a hairpin and the weapon called a sai later led to this character being used to refer to the weapon. In modern Japanese, this character is read primarily with its on'yomi of sai, and is used to refer to the weapon.
- (weaponry) A sai: a short blunt weapon with a wide guard, used mainly for defense against opponents armed with swords
Etymology 2Wikipedia ja Wikipedia
Originally a compound of 髪 (kamu, “hair, hair of the head”, unbound Old Japanese form) + 挿し (sashi, “sticker-through (something that sticks through)”, the 連用形 (ren'yōkei, “stem form”) of verb 挿す sasu “to stick through, to insert”). The sashi changes to zashi due to rendaku (連濁).
/kamusaɕi/ > /kanzaɕi/
May be a sound shift from kanzashi.
/kanzaɕi/ > /kazaɕi/
A folk etymology occasionally encountered is that this as a compound of 花 (ka, “flower”) + 挿し (sashi, “sticker-through”), as many decorative hairpins have floral themes. However, this etymology would mix the Chinese-derived on'yomi of ka and the Old Japanese-derived kun'yomi of sashi, which seems less probable than the above two possibilities.
- 挿頭す (かざす, kazasu): to stick in one's hair (as for decoration); to add decoration on top of something
- 1988, 国語大辞典（新装版） (Kokugo Dai Jiten, Revised Edition) (in Japanese), Tōkyō: Shogakukan
- ^ 2006, 大辞林 (Daijirin), Third Edition (in Japanese), Tōkyō: Sanseidō, ISBN 4-385-13905-9
- 1998, NHK日本語発音アクセント辞典 (NHK Japanese Pronunciation Accent Dictionary) (in Japanese), Tōkyō: NHK, ISBN 978-4-14-011112-3