Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
|Kanji in this term|
|Grade: S||Grade: 1|
- A Japanese habitational surname.
- A place in the north of Minato-ku, Tōkyō. So named as the land was deeded to Aoyama Tadanari (青山忠成, d. 1613; Wikipedia article) by Tokugawa Ieyasu (徳川家康, d. 1616; Wikipedia article).
- Various other places in Japan.
From Sinitic 青山.
- A green lush mountain or mountainous area.
- (metaphoric) A grave or one's final resting place.
- Alternate name for the 琵琶 (biwa), a four-stringed lute brought to Japan from Tang Dynasty China.
- 青山一髪 (せいざんいっぱつ, seizan ippatsu): "lush mountains, a single hair" → The mountains are so far away that they recede into the distance, seeming only as tall as a single hair is wide.
- 人間到る処青山有り (にんげんいたるところせいざんあり, ningen itaru tokoro seizan ari; じんかんいたるところせいざんあり, jinkan itaru tokoro seizan ari): "wherever people go, there are green mountains", "wherever you go in the world, there are green mountains" → Get out and see the world, don't be a homebody.
|simpl. and trad.|
青山 (traditional and simplified, Pinyin)