Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (literary or archaic, also occasionally colloquial) It is.
- ’Tis the season to be jolly. — Popular Christmas song (Deck the Halls).
- ’Tis good ta’ ’ave ya back boy! (to have you)
1597, Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet, Act 3, Scene 1:
- Mercutio [wounded]: "No, 'tis not so deep as a well, nor so wide as a church-door; but 'tis enough, 'twill serve: ask for me to-morrow, and you shall find me a grave man."
- Charles Dickens
- It looks well in a picter, I've heerd say; but there an't weather in picters, and maybe 'tis fitter for that, than for a place to live in.
- (it is): it’s