Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Shortening of universe.
'verse (plural 'verses)
- (fandom slang) The (fictional) universe in which Firefly is set.
- 2007, Joy Davidson, The Psychology of Joss Whedon: An Unauthorized Exploration of Buffy, Angel, and Firefly, page 51,
- In the dystopian Firefly ‘verse, the government itself is “antisocial.”
- 2007, Corey Bridges, The Virtual ‘Verse, in Jane Espenson (editor), Serenity Found: More Unauthorized Essays on Joss Whedon's Firefly Universe,
- Happily, it's a fun ‘verse for a journey. It's no accident that Joss Whedon built Firefly with the elements of a great MMOG.
- 2008, K. Dale Koontz, Faith and Choice in the Works of Joss Whedon, page 160,
- In the Firefly/Serenity ‘verse (as in ours), unstable teenage girls are not supposed to be able to kill three men with three shots.