Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: woman
From the noun woman.
-woman (plural -women)
- Someone (implied female) who is an expert in an area; e.g. horsewoman, sportswoman.
- Someone (implied female) who is employed or holds a position in an area; e.g newswoman, policewoman.
- Someone (implied female) who has special characteristics relating to an area, e.g. bogeywoman, superwoman.
- To include men and women, either the suffix -person is used, or a gender-inclusive synonym, for example police officer instead of policeman.
other terms ending in man
Word suffixed with -woman
- Most of these like businesswoman are borrowed directly from English, while some such as tenniswoman are not.