Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Acronym [please replace this header] used in the United States military: “Absent WithOut Leave”.
AWOL (not comparable)
AWOL (plural AWOLs)
- (military) Absence without proper authority from the properly appointed place of duty, or from unit, organization, or other place of duty at which one is required to be at the time prescribed.
- (military) A person who holds AWOL status.
- (generic) Somebody who is absent without permission.
- (figuratively) Someone or something missing.
military: person who holds AWOL status
generic: one who is absent without permission
figurative: someone or something missing
- UA – Unauthorized Absence