Appendix:Official English Scrabble 2-letter words
Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
(Redirected from Appendix:Official Scrabble 2-letter words)
- This list gives all the English two-letter words playable in Scrabble (playable everywhere except for countries than use the rival TWL dictionary; the US, Canada, Israel, and Thailand) according to the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary and Official Scrabble Words International, each of which list all permissible words from two up to about nine letters in length.
- aa ab ad ae ag ah ai al am an ar as at aw ax ay ba be bi bo by ch da de di do ea ed ee ef eh el em en er es et ex fa fe fy gi go gu ha he hi hm ho id if in io is it ja jo ka ki ko ky la li lo ma me mi mm mo mu my na ne no nu ny ob od oe of oh oi om on oo op or os ou ow ox oy pa pe pi po qi re sh si so st ta te ti to ug uh um un up ur us ut we wo xi xu ya ye yo yu za zo
- ch, although valid for Scrabble, is not an actual word; rather, it is an obsolete stem prepended to verbs and meaning "I", as in "cham" (I am) and "chave" (I have). It is included in Scrabble because the dictionary used to compile the English word lists (incorrectly) gives it as a word.
- The Dictionary Committee of the National Scrabble Association (of North America) in early 2006 added five two-letter words to the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary: fe, ki, oi, qi, and za. Oi and qi were already allowed in Official Scrabble Words International, and the remaining words have since been adopted into SOWPODS play, along with ja in SOWPODS.
- The above list comes from the "word list" used in international tournament play. The following words do not appear in The Official Scrabble Players Dictionary, Fourth Edition, Merriam-Webster, 2005, the word list used in the US, Israel, Thailand, and Canada: ch, da, di, ea, ee, fy, gi, gu, io, ja, ko, ky, ny, ob, oo, ou, po, st, te, ug, ur, yu, zo. Consequently, the list of allowed words in the US, Canada, Israel, and Thailand is: aa ab ad ae ag ah ai al am an ar as at aw ax ay ba be bi bo by de do ed ef eh el em en er es et ex fa fe go ha he hi hm ho id if in is it jo ka la li lo ma me mi mm mo mu my na ne no nu od oe of oh oi om on op or os ow ox oy pa pe pi qi re sh si so ta ti to uh um un up us ut we wo xi xu ya ye yo za
- pH, the measure of acidity/alkalinity, was valid until 2007.