Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
(Redirected from Appendix:Proto-Algonquian/-xka·či)
*-xka·ti, *-xka·či (plural *-xka·tali)
- This term was (and in child languages remains) inalienable; it had to be preceded by a personal prefix such as *ni- (“my”), *ki- (“your (singular)”), or *wi- (“his or her”), as in *nexka·či (“my leg or foot”).
- č was an allophone of t before i, for which reason the term could just as well be written as -xka·či.
- probably Abenaki (m)kôd (“leg”)
- Fox: -hkâchi (“foot”)
- Miami: nihkaati (“my foot”)
- probably Mohegan-Pequot -sit (“foot”)
- *-ɬkani (“bone, leg”)
- Siebert (1975)
- Goddard (1977)
- Greenberg (1987)
- David Costa, The Miami-Illinois Language (ISBN 0803215142, 2003)