Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: barney
- Rhymes: -ɑː(r)ni
- A male given name, and a diminutive of Barnabas, Barnaby, Bernard, or Barnett.
- A surname based on the given names, or from the place name Barney, Old English "barn/barley island".
- 1977 Richard F.Snow, Barney Oldfield, American Heritage Magazine, February 1977
- "Who the hell do you think you are — Barney Oldfield?" That was the motorcycle cop’s standard question for fifty years, and even today you can hear it once in a while if you get caught speeding.
- 1999 Ian Rankin: Dead Souls ISBN 0312974205 page 27:
- "Barney Mee?" he said.
- More laughter on the line. "I never knew why everyone called me that."
- Rebus could have told him: after Barney Rubble in The Flintstones. He could have added: because you were a dense wee bastard.