- A place name, notably of:
- A surname common in the US, associated with German or Scandinavian ancestry.
From Old High German berg, from Proto-Germanic *bergaz, from Proto-Indo-European *bʰergʰ- (“height”), from *bʰeregʰ- (“high, elevated”). Compare Dutch berg, Low German Barg, West Frisian berch, English barrow, Danish bjerg, Swedish berg.
- IPA(key): /bɛʁk/, [bɛʁk], [bɛɐ̯k] (standard)
- IPA(key): /bɛʁç/, [bɛɜ̯ç] (northern and central Germany; chiefly colloquial)
- A surname, as of the composer Alban Berg.
- A place name, notably of
From berg (“mountain”).
- A surname.