Proto-Indo-European is a hypothetical language. Words and roots in Proto-Indo-European are not directly attested in any written works, but have been reconstructed through the comparative method, which finds regular similarities between languages that cannot be explained by coincidence or word-borrowing, and extrapolates ancient forms from these similarities.
According to our criteria for inclusion, Proto-Indo-European should not be present in entries in the main namespace, but may be added to the Appendix: namespace.
Please see Wiktionary:About Proto-Indo-European for considerations about Proto-Indo-European entries.
Definitions, translations and related terms may be found at the entry Proto-Indo-European.
- Category:ine-pro:All topics: Proto-Indo-European words categorized by subject.
- Category:Proto-Indo-European morphemes: Morphemes used to form Proto-Indo-European words.
- Category:Proto-Indo-European parts of speech: Proto-Indo-European terms categorized by their part of speech.
- Category:Proto-Indo-European lexicons: Proto-Indo-European words categorized by their lexicons.
- Category:Proto-Indo-European etymologies: Proto-Indo-European terms categorized by their origins.
- Category:Terms derived from Proto-Indo-European: Words derived from Proto-Indo-European in various languages.
- Category:Proto-Indo-European appendices: Miscellaneous information about Proto-Indo-European language.
- Category:Requests (Proto-Indo-European): Proto-Indo-European entries that need attention of experienced editors.
- Category:User ine-pro: Wiktionary users categorized by fluency levels in Proto-Indo-European.
- Category:Proto-Indo-European templates: Proto-Indo-European templates with predefined content for similar functions.
This category has the following 17 subcategories, out of 17 total.