Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
English citations of de rigueur
- 1959, Frank Chodorov, The Rise and Fall of Society, Devin-Adair, Chapter 13, page 126:
- It is still de rigueur for the victorious State to add to its exploitable territory at the expense of the conquered.
- 1995 — “Not a problem. I lived half my adult life in a country where dropping in unannounced was de rigueur.” — Richard Powers, Galatea 2.2
- 2010 May 2, Caspar Llewellyn Smith in The Observer, Biffy Clyro: 'We still feel like underdogs'
- It is often expected of rock stars that they'll sport a ghostly pallor and in this respect Simon Neil of Biffy Clyro doesn't disappoint: as well as a black leather jacket and the de rigueur beard and the tattoos that cover his muscled arms, he blinks into the sunshine as someone barely used to it. But then the same is even truer of his bandmates, twin brothers James and Ben Jo.