Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
English citations of ennui
- 1907, Robert Chambers, chapter 6, The Younger Set:
- “I don't mean all of your friends—only a small proportion—which, however, connects your circle with that deadly, idle, brainless bunch—the insolent chatterers at the opera, […] the speed-mad fugitives from the furies of ennui, the neurotic victims of mental cirrhosis, … !”
- 1934 — Cole Porter, I Get a Kick out of You
- My story is much too sad to be told, / but practically everything / leaves me totally cold.
- The only exception I know is the case, / when I’m out on a quiet spree, / fighting vainly the old ennui,
- and I suddenly turn and see, / your fabulous face.
- 1956 — Arthur C. Clarke, The City and the Stars, p 44
- Sympathy, for one whose loneliness must be even greater than his own; an ennui produced by ages of repetition; and an impish sense of fun—these were the discordant factors that prompted Khedron to act.
- 1961 — Henry Miller, Tropic of Cancer
- Everything is endured – disgrace, humiliation, poverty, war, crime, ennui – in the belief that overnight something will occur, a miracle, which will render life tolerable.
- 1990 — Terry Pratchett, Eric, p 165
- Now and again screams of ennui rose from between the potted plants, but mainly there was the terrible numbing silence of the human brain being reduced to cream cheese from the inside out.
- 1997 — Terrance Dicks, The Eight Doctors, p 256
- It was also known as ennui, the megrims, the blues, or the black dog. But whatever the name, the symptoms were always the same: listlessness, boredom, a sense that life was ultimately meaningless and futile, without point or purpose.
- 1999 — Brian Greene, The Elegant Universe, p 139
- The success of Green and Schwarz finally trickled down even to first-year graduate students, and an electrifying sense of being on the inside of a profound moment in the history of physics displaced the previous ennui.
- 2005 — Neil Strauss, The Game, p 59
- Women are sick of generic guys asking the same generic questions: "So where are you from?... What do you do for work?" With our patterns, gimmicks, and routines, we were barroom heroes, saving the female of the species from certain ennui.