Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
English citations of whitesplain
2010 January 28, Justine Larbalestier, “Mansplaining”, Justine Larbalestier, accessed on 2012-05-26:
- It’s called whitesplaining and often involves a white person explaining to a person of colour how they are wrong about something being racist. Often the whitesplainer will twist things around so much in the process of their whitesplaining that they wind up “demonstrating” to the person of colour how they are in fact racist for having brought up the subject of racism.
2010 February 3, “The Art of Mansplaining”, Fannie's Room, accessed on 2012-05-26:
- And so this instance, was also a classic case of whitesplaining, whereby a white person whitesplains how a person of color is "wrong" about something being racist against people of color.
2010 May 31, Nancy, “How to deal with being racist”, Sick Sad World, accessed on 2012-09-18:
- Don't mansplain, whitesplain, straightsplain, cissplain, etc. Respect people’s right to self-define.
2011 October 30, Tamura A. Lomax, “No, You Aren’t Amber Cole’s Father”, The Feminist Wire, accessed on 2012-05-26:
- I’m not sure why, though I suspect it’s a bit of fallout from the Slutwalk whitesplaining debacle.
2013 April 16, Page, Clarence quoting Urban Dictionary, “Rand Paul ‘whitesplaining’ for Howard students”, New Haven Register:
- Rand Paul whitesplained to students at Howard University that a black Republican founded the NAACP.
2013 1 September, Hell Stomper, “Here’s The 5 Dumbest Things Said About Race On The 50th Anniversary Of Dr. King’s Speech”, alt.fan.rush-limbaugh, Usenet:
- 4. Jimmy Carter whitesplaining how Dr. King would react to Voter ID laws
2013 November 26, Joan Walsh, “What to get Rush Limbaugh for Christmas”, Salon, accessed on 2014-03-08:
- Oh, hey, Jonah Goldberg and Elisabeth Hasselbeck and Rush Limbaugh, and all you right-wingers trying to whitesplain racism to Oprah Winfrey: The finale of “The African Americans: Many Rivers to Cross” is on PBS tonight and I’m sure you won’t want to miss it.
2014 February 17, Goldberg, Michelle, “Feminism's Toxic Twitter Wars”, The Nation:
- One self-described white feminist tweeted at her to explain that no women of color had been at the Barnard meeting "and that I needed to be educated about that," Wilson recalls. Somehow, activists who prided themselves on their racial enlightenment "were whitesplaining me about racism," she adds, laughing.
- 2014, David Meadow, "Theater with a Kick", The Indypendent, Issue 194, 25 February - 24 March 2014, page 17:
- Meanwhile, Clifton Duncan, a black actor, logs significant time as white screen legend James Coburn (who studied kung fu with Lee), and this includes a deliciously absurd moment where Coburn “whitesplains” Hollywood Orientalism to his teacher.
2014 March 25, Arit John, “There's No Right Way to White-Splain Rap Music”, The Wire, accessed on 2014-03-26:
- Alexander manages to find a new way to white-splain rap music. While Lorde's song implies that chasing gold teeth and Maybachs reveals the empty materialism of rap music, Alexander argues that that materialism is what makes rap music great — it's the smart stuff he finds boring.
2014 April 26, danielwalldammit, “It’s Been a Good Week for Whitesplaining, Thank you Cliven Bundy and Dan Snyder!”, Northierthanthou:
- Dan Snyder thinks he can simply tell the world what the real problems are in Indian Country, all the while ignoring the input, comments, criticism, and vocal outrage from indigenous voices all over the country, not the least of them appearing on the pages of Indian Country Today. ¶ If I had to give an example of whitesplaining, I think this might just be the first one that came to mind.