Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
English citations of word
Noun: "the act of speaking"
- 1811, Jane Austen, Sense and Sensibility:
- she believed them still so very much attached to each other, that they could not be too sedulously divided in word and deed on every occasion.
- 2004, Richard Williams, The Guardian, 8 Sep 2004:
- As they fell apart against Austria, England badly needed someone capable of leading by word and example.
Noun: "something that has been said"
- 1611, Bible, Authorized Version, Matthew XXVI.75:
- And Peter remembered the word of Jesus, which said unto him, Before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.
- 1945, Sebastian Haffner, The Observer, 1 Apr 1945:
- "The Kaiser laid down his arms at a quarter to twelve. In me, however, they have an opponent who ceases fighting only at five minutes past twelve," said Hitler some time ago. He has never spoken a truer word.
Noun: "a unit of language with meaning"
- 1594, William Shakespeare, The Tragedy of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark, II.ii
- Polonius: What do you read, my lord?
- Hamlet: Words, words, words.
1882, John Stuart Mill, A System of Logic, Ratiocinative and Inductive:
- But it is no part of the signification of the word John, that the father of the person so called bore the same name; nor even of the word Dartmouth, to be situated at the mouth of the Dart.
- 1896, Israel Zangwill, Without Prejudice, p21
- “Ain’t! How often am I to tell you ain’t ain’t a word?”
- 1999, Linda Greenlaw, The Hungry Ocean, Hyperion, p11
- Fisherwoman isn’t even a word. It’s not in the dictionary.
Interjection: "abbreviation of word up"
- 2004, Shannon Holmes, Never Go Home Again: A Novel, page 218
- " […] Know what I'm sayin'?" / "Word!" the other man strongly agreed. "Let's do this — "
- 2007, Gabe Rotter, Duck Duck Wally: A Novel, page 105
- " […] Not bad at all, man. Worth da wait, dawg. Word." / "You liked it?" I asked dumbly, stoned still, and feeling victorious. / "Yeah, man," said Oral B. "Word up. […] "
- 2007, Relentless Aaron The Last Kingpin, page 34
- " […] I mean, I don't blame you... Word! […] "