Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (number theory) A representation of a rational number as a sum of distinct unit fractions.
- The fraction can be written as the Egyptian fraction
- The calculation of where both M and N are real numbers can be done by expressing N as the sum of an integer h and an Egyptian fraction . Then where each of the roots can be calculated by means of the Newton–Raphson method.
- (number theory, rare) A unit fraction.
- The term unit fraction is more commonly used than Egyptian fraction in the sense with that meaning.
representation of a rational number as sum of distinct unit fractions