Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Führer (plural Führers or Führer)
- A leader, especially one exercising the powers of a tyrant
- (historical) Adolf Hitler when the chancellor of Nazi Germany
leader exercising the powers of a tyrant
Adolf Hitler when chancellor
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
Führer m (genitive Führers, plural Führer)
- leader; someone who determines the actions of a group
- guide; a person who gives directions or provides help to navigate unknown terrain (especially in compounds)
- guide; a person who provides information about any topic
- guidebook; a text which provides information about a topic
- director, manager, commander; a person in charge of something or someone (especially in compounds)
- (formal) driver, pilot; someone who operates a mode of transport (any kind that is not shoes or skating equipment of some sort)
- (music) fugue theme; a melody in the form it appears in first in a fugue
- “Führer und Reichskanzler” was the official title of Adolf Hitler after the merger of the positions of Reichspräsident (president) and Reichskanzler (chancellor) in 1934. Hitler was subsequently known as der Führer in both official and common usage.
- In order to avoid any allusion to Hitler, the word is now sometimes replaced with other terms (such as Anführer or Leiter) when referring to people. However, Führer is still a perfectly acceptable word (see examples above).
declension of Führer
- Führer in Duden online