Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- The amendment to the constitution of the United States pertaining to freedom of speech, freedom of religion and freedom of the press.
- (Can we verify(+) this sense?) (chiefly US) Of or relating to the US Bill of Rights.
- (Can we verify(+) this sense?) (chiefly US, law) Of or relating to free speech in general.
- The claimant believed his First Amendment rights had been violated, but the judge was unsure of whether it was a First Amendment issue.
- Our First Amendment class discussed the McCain-Feingold Act today, and I'm convinced people who claim money should be granted First Amendment protection are just defending the corrupt status quo of decades past.