Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- The female given name gained popularity from Florence Nightingale who was born in the Tuscan city
- A province of Tuscany, Italy.
- The capital city of the province Florence.
- The capital city of the Deparment of Caquetá, Colombia.
- A female given name
- 1840 William Gilmore Simms, Border Beagles: A Tale of Mississippi, Donohue, Henneberry, 1890, page 398
- It is a sweet name, Florence, but not as sweet as herself. But you shall see her with you own eyes.
- 2006 Sophie Hannah, Little Face, Soho, 2007, ISBN 1569474680, page 3
- I am glad that I chose the name Florence for my daughter, a real name with a history, rather than something that sounds as if it has been made up by a fifteen-year-old pop star's marketing team.
female given name
Florence (plural Florences)
- (historical) An ancient gold coin of the time of Edward III, coined by Florentines and worth six shillings sterling.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Camden to this entry?)