God works in mysterious ways
Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Perhaps from a poem by William Cowper (who lived 1731–1800), whose first stanza reads, “God moves in a mysterious way / His wonders to perform; / He plants His footsteps in the sea / And rides upon the storm.”
- Expressing confidence that a conundrum has a solution despite it not being apparent.
- Commenting that a seemingly unfortunate or unfavourable situation or change may be beneficial later or in the long run.
- Person A: It seems that I'm about to be fired from my job.
- Person B: Well, God works in mysterious ways — maybe it'll be the kick you need to apply to university...
- As a figure of speech, it does not necessarily denote the religion (or lack thereof) of the speaker.
- In various parts of the world, it is sometimes, or mostly, used sarcastically.
a situation may be beneficial later