Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: İzmir
- İzmir (uncommon)
- A major Turkish port city situated midway along the western Anatolian seaboard, geographically continuous with the ancient city of Smyrna.
- 1954, Amerikan Kız Koleji [aut.] and Margaret W. Meyer [ed.], İzmir: The Gateway to Turkey (Piyasa Matbaası),
- 2000, Dana Facaros and Michael Pauls, Turkey,
- One major problem in towns of all sizes is the lack of street signs, but almost every local tourist office can provide you with a map. City tourist offices almost always provide acceptable maps; those for İstanbul and İzmir are as good as any you pay for.
- 2009, James Bainbridge, Turkey,
- It may be Turkey’s third-largest city in terms of population, but in the congestion stakes İzmir has to be challenging for top honours.
- The spelling Izmir is technically incorrect because Turkish has two forms of the letter i, namely İ (whose lower-case form is i) and I (whose lower-case form is ı). Because the two letters are pronounced very differently, the Turkish pronunciation for Izmir would be *[ˈɯʐmiɾ], approximated in English as [ˈuzmɪɚ] (o͞ozʹmîr).
- Smyrna (obsolete, prior to the Turkish Postal Service Law of 28 March 1930)