Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
From Hebrew יונה ("dove").
- Rhymes: -əʊnə
Proper noun 
- A male given name.
- (biblical) A book of the Old Testament and the Hebrew Tanakh.
- (nautical, slang) A person who brings a ship bad luck.
- (slang, by extension of the nautical sense) Any person or object which is deemed to cause bad luck; a jinx.
- 1611, King James Version of the Bible (Authorized Version), Jonah 1:15:
- So they took up Jonah, and cast him forth into the sea: and the sea ceased from her raging.
Related terms 
Biblical: a book of the Old Testament
a person who brings a ship bad luck
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
- J. van der Schaar, “Woordenboek van voornamen”, Utrecht, Antwerpen 1964, Aula-boeken 176, Uitgeverij Het Spectrum