Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- A common name for various plants:
- (obsolete) Chrysocoma linosyris, a European plant with yellow flowers.
- The silverbush, Anthyllis Barba-Jovis, a European shrub with silvery leaves.
- The common houseleek, Sempervivum tectorum.
- 1658: Thus [...] nature [...] somewhat after this manner hath ordered the bush in Jupiters beard, or houseleek; which old superstition set on the tops of houses, as a defensative against lightening, and thunder. — Sir Thomas Browne, The Garden of Cyrus (Folio Society 2007, p. 181)
- A white-edged fungus, Hydnum Barba-Jovis.
- OED, 3rd edition