Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: Kévin
- 1 English
- 2 Danish
- 3 Estonian
- 4 French
- 5 German
- 6 Norwegian
- 7 Swedish
Kevin (plural Kevins)
- A male given name. It first became popular outside Ireland in the mid-twentieth century.
- (UK, pejorative, slang) A working-class male.
- pet form: Kev
- 1990 Ruth Rendell: Going Wrong ISBN 0091743001 page 157:
- "Guy," he said. He said it slowly and with a certain puzzlement. He said it again, thoughtfully, as if it were a name of someone he had known long ago but couldn't quite place. "Guy. Yes - don't you find it difficult being called that? I mean, if Nora hadn't said, I'd have put you down as a Kevin, or a Barry. Yes, Barry would suit you."
- He looked like an innocent child, smiling, wide-eyed, his cheeks plump and rosy, defying the object of his insults to take offence.
- 1996 Frank McCourt: Angela's Ashes. Harper Collins Publishers. ISBN 0 00 649840 X page 203:
- They sit by the fire smoking and talking about names. Mam says she likes the names Kevin and Sean but Bridey says, Ah no, there's too many of them in Limerick. Jesus, Angela, if you stuck your head out of the door and called , Kevin or Sean, come in for your tea, you'd have half o' Limerick running to your door.
male given name