Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Mr. (US)
Abbreviation of Mister.
- enPR: mĭsʹ-tər, IPA: /ˈmɪstər/, X-SAMPA: /"mIst@r/
- (UK) IPA: [ˈmɪstə(ɹ)], X-SAMPA: ["mIst@(r\)]
- (US) IPA: [ˈmɪstɚ], X-SAMPA: ["mIst@`]
Audio (US) (file)
Audio (UK) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɪstə(r)
- Homophones: Mister, mister
- An abbreviation of mister, a title used before the surname in theory, though not generally in practice, above some undefined social level, too old to be addressed as “Master”, not a knight or of some higher rank, and, in Britain though not in the United States, not entitled to be addressed as “Dr”.
- Mr John Doe
- Mr Doe
- (month) March
abbreviation of Mister