Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- IPA(key): /n(j)uː ˈɔɹliənz/, /ˈn(j)uː ɔɹˈliːnz/
- (locally) IPA(key): /nuː ˈɔɹlənz/, /ˈnɔɹlənz/
- (very dated) IPA(key): /ˈnuː ˈɔɹ.lɛ.ənz/, /ˈnuː ˈɔɹ.li.ənz/
- The largest city in the State of Louisiana in the United States of America, an industrial and distribution center and major seaport located along the Mississippi near the Gulf of Mexico, known for its rich cultural heritage, especially its music and cuisine.
- ^ This tetrasyllabic pronunciation is found in e.g. The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia: Cyclopedia of Names.