Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Proper noun 
- An occupational surname for a dyer or seller of (scarlet) fabric.
- A female given name transferred from the surname; in general use since 1936.
- 1854 Alfred Tennyson: The Charge of the Heavy Brigade at Balaclava:
- For Scarlett and Scarlett's three hundred were riding by
- When the points of the Russian lances arose in the sky;
- 1936 Margaret Mitchell: Gone With the Wind: Chapter III:
- 'There now, Scarlett! You admit it is true. What would you be doing with a husband like Ashley? 'Tis moonstruck they all are, all the Wilkes.'