Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Proper noun 
- A habitational surname.
- Any of several places, outside England named for persons with the surname.
- A male given name transferred from the surname. Popular in early 20th century.
- 1593 William Shakespeare, Richard III, Act IV, Scene IV
- Go then and muster men: but leave behind
- Your son George Stanley: look your heart be firm
- Or else his head's assurance is but frail.
- 1990 Ed McBain, Vespers, W.Morrow, ISBN 0877959870, page 61
- The man was named Stanley. This was his real name; who on earth would want to change his name to Stanley unless he planned on becoming a dentist?