Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: steve
- A diminutive of Steven and Stephen, also used as a formal male given name.
- A diminutive of the female given name Stephanie.
- 1989 Ann Beattie: Picturing Will, Random House, ISBN 0394569873, page 67:
- His first name was probably Steve or Ed. No, there were no more Steves or Eds in New York. They were now Steven or Edward, whether they were gay or straight. If they had money, they didn't have a nickname. Everybody was into high seriousness, so that now even dogs were named Humphrey and Raphael.
- 1956 Grace Metalious: Peyton Place, UPNE, 1999, ISBN 1555534007, Book Three,Chapter 13,
- Allison made a careful note of the address and within the hour she had met, decided she liked, and moved in with a girl of twenty who called herself Steve Wallace.
- "Don't call me Stephanie", Steve had said. "I don't know why it should, but being called Stephanie always makes me feel like something pale and dull out of Jane Austen."