Talk:as long as
These translations need to be split up. Kappa 05:32, 17 February 2008 (UTC)
The following information has failed Wiktionary's deletion process.
It should not be re-entered without careful consideration.
If this is a preposition (as it claims to be), then most adjectives need to show such a preposition as a derived term: as preposterous as, as misguided as, as deletable as, etc. DCDuring TALK 23:52, 23 October 2009 (UTC)
- Delete, silly entry. Mglovesfun (talk) 10:41, 24 October 2009 (UTC)
- Delete this Preposition section. But it might be useful to keep this sense nonetheless (for beginners). —This comment was unsigned.
- I don't get the theory of why it would be an advantage for beginners to have this and only this entry have a definition for a "preposition" which grammar books and other dictionaries don't say is a preposition. If we had some systematic "do not confuse" type usage notes, perhaps that would be advantageous. But I would like to see some evidence that it would be desirable from some other language references, preferably dictionary-like. DCDuring TALK 01:31, 26 October 2009 (UTC)
- How is it a preposition? I don't think "as long as" is any part of speech is it? At best, a sentence. Mglovesfun (talk) 13:30, 26 October 2009 (UTC)
- It has a superficial resemblance to a preposition in that is followed by a noun complement to form a phrase that can serve as a predicate and as an adverb as many prepositional phrases do. In the sense under challenge it does not seem to me to be a constituent of any kind, but I'm not a pro at this. CGEL actually labels the senses we have under as long as#Conjunction as prepositional, though AHD and MWOnline agree with us. DCDuring TALK 16:11, 26 October 2009 (UTC)