The following discussion has been moved from Wiktionary:Requests for verification.
This discussion is no longer live and is left here as an archive. Please do not modify this conversation, though feel free to discuss its conclusions.
The "References" appear to be at least half dictionaries or the like. Are there any citations for this word? --EncycloPetey 22:31, 28 January 2012 (UTC)
- Google book search shows several dictionary-type definitions and some more mentions, but I can't see any actual usage in the first few pages. SemperBlotto 22:35, 28 January 2012 (UTC)
- Added a couple Usenet quotes using Bushlips (capitalized) like a euphemism for bullshit. Some other posts used an alternative singular form, bushlip:
2008 January 12, 1X2Willows, “Re: Danu/Dana”, alt.religion.druid, Usenet:
- Jesus was an Aryan and got killed by the inferior Jews only because they were envious and unable to accept his spiritual superiority yadda yadda and similar bushlip.
- Also found uses of Bushlips as an epithet for George H. W. Bush himself:
1992 September 14, Martin, Bruce A., “Re: Libertarian Elector History”, alt.politics.marrou, Usenet:
- I won't even point bother to point out that either one is far better qualified than Bushlips, SlickWillie, Alfred E. Neuman, or the ecoterrorist; so is Mickey Mouse.
1992 October 26, Jack B. Nimble, “Re: Social Democracy”, soc.motss, Usenet:
- Well, Tinkerbell, don't flap your wings in a paroxysm of ecstasy prematurely, as Bushlips has been steadily closing the gap in most of the polls.
- But that was a short-lived usage limited to the final months of his 1992 presidential campaign, so it wouldn't meet CFI. ~ Robin 04:39, 30 January 2012 (UTC)
- Thanks very much to Robin Lionheart (talk • contribs) for the help, that has significantly improved the page on bushlips, much appreciated! ;) -- Cirt (talk) 07:39, 30 January 2012 (UTC)
- I've taken the helpful lead from Robin Lionheart (talk • contribs), after the research provided above, and added the singular, bushlip, with the quoted citations from above.
- I added additional citations to the plural page, bushlips, including one from 2002.
- Not yet sure if we wish to consider adding Bushlips, as noted above by Robin Lionheart.
Thanks very much for all of the friendly input, it's most appreciated! ;) -- Cirt (talk) 08:10, 30 January 2012 (UTC)
- Added (frequently capitalized) to the entries, to hopably obviate any need for a third page. ~ Robin 10:36, 30 January 2012 (UTC)
- Thanks very much, so the issue raised in this particular subsection can be marked Done for now? :) -- Cirt (talk) 16:19, 30 January 2012 (UTC)