OK for anyone who notices the glaring absence of the modern sense of this word, the RFV process has already failed so you can't add it haha. Kappa 23:01, 6 April 2008 (UTC)
- It looks like the modern alternative should exist at fap fap fap, or something similar - I can't find many uses of it as a standalone unit (probably due to being flooded out by FAP but anyway) however it seems to be repeatable ad nauseum and beyond. Conrad.Irwin 23:20, 6 April 2008 (UTC)
- Yes, fairly glaring; if the "modern sense" exists. However, given that no-one has come up with one single citation? Not one? Robert Ullmann 23:40, 6 April 2008 (UTC)
Looks like there's no google books - but internet usage is very heavy, a few google groups to get us started - but these need to be moved to an appropriate ciations page and formatted etc. (Interestingly enough it seems like the word is also used in german) Conrad.Irwin 00:08, 7 April 2008 (UTC)
- As onomatopaeia:
Jun 2003 alt.tasteless 
and I'll bet he's every bit as good a > fuck as the reigning Miss America. *fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap .......* (Yes, I'd fuck him, but y'all knew that already. I'll pass on the Chanel and the wig, however.)
Dec 2005 alt.recovery.catholicism 
Patrick give it to me again and again <fap fap fap> ram it up my tight little boy pussy <fap fap fap> oh...oh...oh...my balls are churning <fap fap fap> here it comes
As a synonym for masturbate: May 2006 alt.politics.immigration
He wants to FAP FAP FAP he doesn't care which hand he uses doesn't have the time just wants to FAP FAP.
Nope, neither does ordering fap fap fap dvds from Dutch and German websites..... ;-)
- Hm, here we have a lot of citations. It's pretty obvious that this word is used, visit 4chan for heavens sake and you should see it after 2-4 minutes. --BiT 15:11, 16 April 2008 (UTC)
- steFAILanie **
Along with the obvious (fap's definition needs to be updated to include it's modern meaning) it should also state the reason the word is now referenced as a term for masturbation ... the words Flesh and Clap were united to form fap fap fap.
- See fap fap fap. Conrad.Irwin 17:58, 1 May 2008 (UTC)
- Actually, when used as a verb it's usually used like in the header; i.e. "fapping", not "fap fap fapping". You'd rather say e.g. "In the game No More Heroes you recharge your sword by fapping" than "fap fap fapping"; however in the entry fap fap fap the present participle is only fap fap fapping. Why isn't this just moved to fap --BiT 06:04, 2 May 2008 (UTC)
- A portmanteau of "flesh" and "clap"? I don't think so. For one thing that should rather be "flap" than "fap" (heck, both forms include the L), and for another these two words are pretty far-fetched in their relation to masturbation.
- I've always had the impression it was an onomatopoeia for the sound it's supposed to make. That origin would also explain the phrase "fap fap fap".
- Wikipedia agrees, apparently, and adds that it has its origin in the webcomic Sexy Losers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexy_Losers#Legacy). - Fyrius 18:05, 9 April 2009 (UTC)
I suppose "to fap" may be considered a vulgar word in the same way that anything related to this particular subject matter may be considered so, but at that I actually have the impression it's a rather neutral way to refer to the act, neither offensive nor euphemistic. Heck, if anything, it would be the latter.
Am I alone in having that impression, or does anyone else think the "vulgar" part is out of place? - Fyrius 17:57, 9 April 2009 (UTC)
- I'm going to be bold and edit it out, and see what happens next. - Fyrius 09:15, 21 April 2009 (UTC)
- the case is not may be, but it is indeed perceived as such. I support the restauration of the appropriate note. The only way to refer to an abominable action in a neutral way, is by means of Greek or Latin loanwords, exempli gratia coprophagia is neutral and shit-eating is vulgar. In the same way the only neutral terms are masturbation and onanism, all other terms are vulgar. Please, restore the note The uſer hight Bogorm converſation 14:27, 21 April 2009 (UTC)
- Lol, what? On what kind of authority is this rule based, that says that only Greek or Latin loanwords for this sort of thing can be non-vulgar?
- Sorry, I'm not convinced. - Fyrius 21:30, 24 April 2009 (UTC)
- I won't go as far as Bogorm, to state that only Latin and Greek loanwords can appear acceptable with respect to subjects that may be taboo to some. Latin and Greek terms are, however, associated to some extent with medicine and earnest scholarly endeavour, and do thus lend a sense of intellectual gravitas to the discussion. Thus, they can be better relied on not to offend, giving instead the impression that one is taking the subject seriously.
- "Fap," on the other hand, appears to trivialise its subject, and thus risks offending those who regard the act as taboo. I suspect intentionally. :) Pingku 17:07, 2 May 2009 (UTC)
im from germany and i think we use it to imitate the sound of masturbation or sex in general :D
(I'd add this to the entry, but I have no idea how you guys format things here. Do you go into this sort of level of detail?)
 "It was pulled from the Viz translation of Heartbroken Angels. Although there were a number of sounds the translator used for masturbation (there’s a lot of that going on in that comic), I chose the word fap as it came from a particular strip that had god masturbating."
- David Gerard 20:19, 29 May 2011 (UTC)