Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Spelling: nun or noun?
Now what's right, Pronunciation or Pronounciation (see pronounce -> Related)? --Newbie (CH) 15:12, 5 Aug 2004 (UTC)
- Pronunciation is the standard spelling. (I went and fixed the link at pronounce.) See Wiktionary:List of common misspellings. —Muke Tever 22:35, 5 Aug 2004 (UTC)
- But isn't it said as 'pronounciation'? At least I have always heard it so. Or I think so, since I won't hear much english apart from tv. 184.108.40.206 04:04, 24 January 2011 (UTC)
- Why it is "nun"? What is the reason for "o" to drop off? That's what I'd like to know. 220.127.116.11 13:34, 19 July 2011 (UTC)
- The "o" is not dropped out of pronunciation. On the contrary, an "o" in inserted in pronounce. The "o" is added to reflect our English pronunciation of pronounce. Pronunciation < Old French pronuncier < Late Latin pronunciare < Latin pronuntiare, from pro- + nuntiare < nuntius (messenger). —Stephen (Talk) 22:47, 19 July 2011 (UTC)
Who pronounces it "proNOUNciation"?
The article gives two ways to pronounce this word:
- /pɹəˌnaʊnsiˈeɪʃən/ (nonstandard)