It's some time since I last referenced here. here's my reference. I can't remember how you format references.
This entry has survived Wiktionary's verification process
Please do not re-nominate for verification without comprehensive reasons for doing so. See Wiktionary’s criteria for inclusion.
#A user in an online community, who has two or more account set up by that user so as to seem to be for different users.
Used outside the WMf community? Keene 18:11, 10 April 2008 (UTC)
- I'm not updated on the format on groups.google quotations/cites, so here it goes...
- 1997, "LazzWaldo", alt.astrology: "You being the sock puppeteer extraordinaire, you should be able to tell that."
- 2000, "David Gerard", alt.religion.scientology: "It almost seems a prerequisite that a sock puppeteer be involved in some form of arcanery [...]"
- 2000, "catherine yronwoda", alt.religion.orisha: "If you wish to avoid being caught out as a sock puppeteer in the future, all you have to do is make all of your posts in each newsgroup (and preferably in all of usenet) under ONE screen name"
- 2001, "Mr. F. Bentos", alt.home.cleaning: "A sock puppeteer may well be amongst us. Is there anything else we should look out for? We've had trolls, now a sock puppeteer, whatever next?"
- 2004, "Sandman", comp.sys.mac.advocacy: "Basically, but a good sock puppeteer makes sure the posting "style" is different between him and the sock puppet, plus makes sure that the sock puppet isn't blindly agreeing with every word he says."
- First uses I can find are from late 1997, according to  at least...
- \Mike 09:27, 11 April 2008 (UTC)
- I consider this one done and verified. The links above shows the use of the word outside of the WMf community. --Eivind (t) 21:22, 16 March 2009 (UTC)
- It's not done until the attestation is in the entry or the citation page. DCDuring TALK 17:28, 5 May 2009 (UTC)