Transwiki:Glossary of blackjack terms
The following is a glossary of blackjack terms used in the card game of blackjack. Besides the terms listed here, there are thousands of common and uncommon poker slang terms. This is not intended to be a formal dictionary; precise usage details and multiple closely related senses are omitted here in favor of concise treatment of the basics.
Please remove individual terms from this list when transwikied, so we can gradually get through it.
- When a player is first dealt a card valued at 10, then given an ace for the second card to complete the blackjack. Named for a dealer at the New York New York casino in Las Vegas, Nevada.
- A collection of actions that will offer the highest return on investment when you know only your point total and the dealers upcard, basic strategy is set in stone, but may vary when different rules are applied to the game.
- A brightly collored plastic card that serves to mark the point where the dealer will reshuffle the deck(s) / shoe, allow the player to cut the deck/shoe prior to dealing, and prevent the bottom card of the deck(s) / shoe from being exposed during play.
- double, double down
- After seeing his hand, a player can double by placing an additional bet equal to his original bet and subsequently drawing one and only one additional card. This move may only be used on the first two cards.
- The betting spot located to the ~dealers~ left hand side, which is first to receive cards and first to act.
- Any hand that does not contain an ace presently being counted as 11
- A number or fraction that represents how many cards/decks will be dealt before shuffling in contrast to the total number of cards/decks in play. It may be expressed in percentage form or as a fraction where the denominator is always the total number of decks in play such as "4.5/6" or "75% penetration" In litterature it may be abreiviated "PEN"
- A blackjack game dealt from the hand of the dealer using 1 or 2 decks
- A tie; the player and dealer have hands with the same total.
- A device used to hold multiple decks of cards typically 4,6 or 8 prior to the dealer removing them one card at a time to be used during play.
- A blackjack game which is dealt from a shoe. Shoe games typically use 4,5,6 or 8 decks.
- A soft hand is a hand that includes an ace valued as 11, as opposed to 1.
- If a player is dealt two cards of the same rank, he can choose to play each of them separately, putting up a bet for each one.
- To stop asking for more cards.
- Any hard hand where the possibility to exced 21 exhists by drawing an additional card namely 12,13,14,15 or 16
- To surrender is to abandon your hand, while recovering half of your initial bet.
- The betting spot located on the ~dealers~ right which is last to act.