- 1 Short term alerts & new vandals
- 1.1 188.8.131.52
- 1.2 %C2%A0 etc.
- 1.3 Brian Merz
- 1.4 %C2%8F etc.
- 1.5 Jé Goolsby etc.
- 1.6 203.144.143.*
- 1.7 El Duccio del Kyratopia
- 1.8 184.108.40.206
- 1.9 User:220.127.116.11
- 1.10 62.252.224.*
- 1.11 18.104.22.168
- 1.12 22.214.171.124 and 126.96.36.199
- 1.13 Ph34r
- 1.14 TTYLyo505
- 1.15 Froogle vandal
- 1.16 Numeric rumanisation vandal
- 1.17 24
- 2 Long-term alerts
Short term alerts & new vandals
- User:188.8.131.52 deleting page contents like mad. Needs to be blocked ASAP!
- Blocked. Polyglot 10:52, 17 Jan 2005 (UTC)
It would be nice to see this person grow up, anyway it has been reported. Hopefully something will be done about it. In the mean time we'll just revert the damage he causes. Polyglot 10:18, 18 Jan 2005 (UTC)
- http://en.wiktionary.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Contributions&target=%C2%A8 and
- At the moment, it looks like his mom told him it's time to go to bed - and to turn off that computer thingy. --Connel MacKenzie 06:17, 20 Jan 2005 (UTC)
- http://en.wiktionary.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Contributions&target=Brian_Merz on a noble, but misguided mission to rewrite the English language, without any discussion on beer parlor or tea room. What's the prescribed method for handling something like this? --Connel MacKenzie 21:51, 22 Jan 2005 (UTC)
- Thank you Eclecticology. --Connel MacKenzie 05:46, 23 Jan 2005 (UTC)
- http://en.wiktionary.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Contributions&target=%C2%8F goatse --Connel MacKenzie 05:46, 23 Jan 2005 (UTC)
Jé Goolsby etc.
- User:Jé Goolsby, AKA User:Jezeus AKA User:Calvert W. AKA User:184.108.40.206. Repeated POV garbage replacement of attested, valid content on several pages. An effective troll, that sucked me in with his list of references, and for a moment, had me hopeful he might be a serious contributor. His prolific use of fallacies and slander have gotten old though. Protecting his references; riiiiiight. Admins, please revert and protect: terrorist, country, insurgent, God, good, etc. --Connel MacKenzie 08:39, 11 Feb 2005 (UTC)
- 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168 Reverse dns points to ppp-22.214.171.124.revip.asianet.co.th. and ppp-126.96.36.199.revip.asianet.co.th respectively. (Thailand.) Apparently in the practice of cutting-n-pasting from dictionary.com. Looks like it could become a significant cleanup effort? Or is that OK for each individual entries because they don't have copyright in Thailand and/or can't read our copyright warnings?
Also, is this better placed in Beer Parlour? Tea room? --Connel MacKenzie 07:36, 12 Feb 2005 (UTC)
El Duccio del Kyratopia
If I'm wrong, I apologize (in advance), but I still want to draw attention to the stuff that's getting submitted by  and . They smell fishy. What do we do about them? Polyglot 17:10, 13 Feb 2005 (UTC)
- This chap is vandalising articles with false Kyratopia translations. SemperBlotto 19:49, 13 Feb 2005 (UTC)
- It's comforting to know that I'm not the only one who never heard of this language. I already warned him (yesterday), if he keeps it up, I'll block him. Polyglot 19:55, 13 Feb 2005 (UTC)
- This one keeps coming back, but appears to be some kind of spambot that uses a wide range of dynamic IPs. Eclecticology 01:53, 7 Mar 2005 (UTC)
- Thanks. Both ips blocked for 24 hours. Not sure if I got them all (you guys did most of the cleanup.) --Connel MacKenzie 07:57, 25 Mar 2005 (UTC)
188.8.131.52 and 184.108.40.206
- Tonight it's user:220.127.116.11
Multiple inexplicable vandalism by Ph34R etc (Leet for fear). All vandalism is bounded by html comments so doesn't show up. What is he doing? SemperBlotto 19:56, 10 Apr 2005 (UTC)
- Vandalizing pages. Why do vandals spray paint walls? Testing the random page feature, perhaps? --Connel MacKenzie 20:07, 10 Apr 2005 (UTC)
- Sorry for the trouble I have caused. No, I'm not testing the random page feature, and I'm not a vandal. What I'm doing is neccasary. Ph34r is eating now 20:36, 10 Apr 2005 (UTC)
- No, it's not. No justification, no warning. Hundreds of edits, (certainly not a "well behaved" bot!) Stop already. --Connel MacKenzie 20:49, 10 Apr 2005 (UTC)
- Sorry for the trouble I have caused. No, I'm not testing the random page feature, and I'm not a vandal. What I'm doing is neccasary. Ph34r is eating now 20:36, 10 Apr 2005 (UTC)
Numeric rumanisation vandal
Several IPs contributing tons of numeric romanizations. See WT:RFD. IPs include:
Don't know how many more were used, but reportedly all were anon IPs. --Connel MacKenzie 04:40, 1 May 2005 (UTC)
- I would like a Chinese speaker to weigh in on the conversation at WT:RFD...doesn't Chinese have one written language, but dozens or hundreds of spoken varients? These entries don't look entirely like they are entirely meaningless. I'm begining to regret blocking the one IP I did block for 24 hours. --Connel MacKenzie 05:54, 1 May 2005 (UTC)
- User:Jandevries has returned to add a very explicit and disgusting picture. I'll ban him for a bit longer this time.
- User:Jandevries created himself a new nick and came back as User:MyPecker. What are we going to do about this? I'll ban him again, but it's like carrying water to the sea. Polyglot 10:00, 25 Dec 2004 (UTC)
- 18.104.22.168 = the.dogs.bollo.cx. Added goatse link to Request for deletion. Can *.cx be firewalled away? I think we can do without contributions from Christmas Island (and who knows, they may be responsible for the poor server performance recently. That's my completely unsubstantiated guess, anyhow.) --Connel MacKenzie 20:12, 10 Jan 2005 (UTC)
- User:Mario Dinis Vandalized request pages tempates, added template "RfP" Request for pooperism. Admins please lock this starfrosch sock puppet account for ten years until he/she grows up. Added goat.cx hello.jpg to templates. Can wiki ban goat.cx external references? Christmas Island does not have any meaningful contributors, and due to their nature probably never will. See Special:Contributions Mario Dinis] WITH IMAGE DOWNLOADING TURNED OFF. --Connel MacKenzie 22:17, 13 Jan 2005 (UTC)
- I'm almost certain this is the same person who created Jandevries and MyPecker. I banned him for a very long time when he showed up as Jandevries. This was rather useless, since he simply created another nick and he was more visible as long as he used Jandevries.
- I tried to have goat.cx banned through the effort that tries to stop recurring spamvertising. I was told that this blacklist was not meant for content we didn't 'like'. On top of that Jamesday told me he is fully aware of the content that can be found there. Apparently there are Wikimedia projects that do have valid links to this site.
- So I won't ask anymore and we simply have to keep deleting this kind of images, while at the same thime hoping no child or prude person has to be confronted/bothered by it. It's bad enough that the people who do happen to see it, have to be disgusted by it.
- I am going to ask that this be investigated further. Jamesday should be able to check from which IP-addresse(s) this guy is working. If they're not widely different, then we can ban him on a more permanent level (where it will become a lot more difficult for him to create another user account). Polyglot 07:59, 14 Jan 2005 (UTC)
Ass Pus/Pelican Shit/Bugger vandal
- This vandal is a cross-project vandal, listed at m:Vandalism_reports#Pelican_Shit.2FAss_Pus.2FBugger.
- User:22.214.171.124 putting links to eekpa in various places, and loading various strange words in no obvious language. SemperBlotto 08:02, 21 Jan 2005 (UTC)
- User:Hìppietrail seems thoroughly fascinated with fecal matter and its inclusion on every page. Please block.--Alia H 08:47, 1 Feb 2005 (UTC)
- Now most likely User:Dillyputty. This person is adding an offensive image to pages, and has moved Wiktionary:Vandalism in progress (this page) several times. Mark4011 21:51, 5 Mar 2005 (UTC)
Please. For the love of God. Stop Dillyputty. PERMANATELY. Oh God, my eyes...--HelloMrMe 22:03, 5 Mar 2005 (UTC)
- User:Purple_Punkin appears to the same as previous. Uploaded same offensive picture again, inserting said image into pages, nonsense entries and templates, another page dealing with Hollywood Jam (which this page was moved to a few hours ago).
- Please IP ban, or alternative measure. This person keeps comming back. Mark4011 05:18, 6 Mar 2005 (UTC)
- To the best of my knowledge, I think everything has been cleaned up or added RFD. Though only the offending image and the Template:Gog is unchanged. Mark4011 06:20, 6 Mar 2005 (UTC)
- This page was once again moved to Hollywood Jam by Yokobollo. Uploaded same image under new name Danube100.jpg. Same vandalism. Is there any measure we can take? I don't want to see that picture again. I have family who use this site, I would not like them to see that image either, ever. Mark4011 21:32, 6 Mar 2005 (UTC)
- The only way to even attempt to stop this is to change Wiki to only allow updates from logged-on users who have provided an email address that has been verified. This has been constantly ruled out by the powers that be. SemperBlotto 22:31, 6 Mar 2005 (UTC)
- This disturbed individual in all his incarnations is very familiar with the system. For many of these the only cure is to deal with the vandalism ASAP. If you block his user name he just makes up a new one. Eclecticology 01:53, 7 Mar 2005 (UTC)
- If we can't block him we'll just have to bite the bullet. We can undo whatever things he does pretty much instantly. The best thing to do is quietly report him, block his new name, and undo his damage everytime he shows up. If we pay attention to him he'll keep coming back for more. Kinda pathetic actually. --HelloMrMe 01:55, 7 Mar 2005 (UTC)
- Protected this page from moves.
Same goatse. It would be nice if wiki* would at least simply block that image that has that exact byte-size, with the same CRC, from being uploaded. (Perhaps even auto-block anyone that uploads it.) Having a one-day delay on image uploads might be another approach. --Connel MacKenzie 08:05, 10 Mar 2005 (UTC)
Same goatse. Mayhem undone. SemperBlotto 11:02, 12 Mar 2005 (UTC)
Same goatse. This is getting boring. SemperBlotto 22:32, 12 Mar 2005 (UTC)
- Reincarnated as user Biggerone. The usual stuff. Mark4011 03:57, 14 Mar 2005 (UTC)
- Early tonight. He must have an early flight tomorrow morning too. --Connel MacKenzie 04:10, 14 Mar 2005 (UTC)
- Same goatse User:Biffiebumper - carnage cleaned up with help from User:Mike - SemperBlotto 08:09, 16 Mar 2005 (UTC)
- Tonight he was called User:Guggenheinie - no image, just carnage. SemperBlotto 22:45, 20 Mar 2005 (UTC)
- Then as User:Bill Ding he did more. Eclecticology 04:46, 21 Mar 2005 (UTC)
- This evening he was User:Fizzlepizzle - much havoc reverted by User:Uncle G. SemperBlotto 22:39, 26 Mar 2005 (UTC)
User:Fuzzbuster vandalised the main page and various other major pages of Wiktionary, including the Beer Parlour, with "Ass Pus" added or replacing the pages in some cases. Banned for 28 days. — Paul G 08:49, 31 Mar 2005 (UTC)
- Today he was User:Highpee - we really need to find his HiPee address. SemperBlotto 09:36, 2 Apr 2005 (UTC)
- Today he was User:Lopee but he didn't get far. SemperBlotto 07:14, 3 Apr 2005 (UTC)
- This afternoon he was User:Sidepee got him quick again SemperBlotto 14:38, 3 Apr 2005 (UTC)
- and then he was User:Dooby SemperBlotto 15:33, 3 Apr 2005 (UTC)
- I blocked (but did not delete the user page - previous "contributions") user:126.96.36.199 for posting to User:Dooby for 10 days. Reverse DNS shows 143.211.119-80.rev.gaoland.net. --Connel MacKenzie 15:55, 3 Apr 2005 (UTC)
- Connel, I really think you were wrong to zap 188.8.131.52 for that. All he did was cover up my AP note on "Dooby". His contribution was nonsense, but he was probably not trying to make trouble. And unlike me, he probably can't dance around your blocks. Just saying. Gottapee 13:36, 4 Apr 2005 (UTC)
- Oh my. Mr. Goatse/AP himself vouching for the honor of an anonymous IP? Aparently a dial-up dynamic IP at that. OK, this is the first time you really have me scratching my head. I think I'll leave that block up for the next 8 1/2 days nevertheless. If another sysop/admin agrees with you, they can remove the block sooner. --Connel MacKenzie 17:15, 4 Apr 2005 (UTC)
- This afternoon he was User:Gottapee SemperBlotto 13:45, 4 Apr 2005 (UTC)
- This evening he was User:Cowpie SemperBlotto 21:11, 5 Apr 2005 (UTC)
- And tonight User:Moogblat. \Mike 01:13, 7 Apr 2005 (UTC)
- Tonight he was User:Beansoup - but not for long. SemperBlotto 21:34, 7 Apr 2005 (UTC)
- Today user:Gumba gumba (different pattern of vandalism - probably some other nutter) SemperBlotto 18:54, 8 Apr 2005 (UTC)
- w:User:Beedy hit Wikipedia and actually came here as soon as xe was blocked there. (w:User:Beedy blocked by Wikipedia at 2005-04-13 08:03 UTC, first visible edit of User:Beedy here at 2005-04-13 08:09 UTC) Over there, xe's known as the "Pelican Shit" vandal (w:WP:VIP#.22Pelican_shit.22_and_.22bugger.22_vandal.2C_possibly_Willy_on_Wheels). The fact that Wikipedia hasn't solved this problem yet confirms that it admits of no easy solution. Uncle G 09:44, 13 Apr 2005 (UTC)
Tonight he was User:Beek3w1 - we used to call him Guano Boy. A possible solution is only to allow edits from logged-in users who have a verified email address - but then it wouldn't be the Wiki we know and love. Maybe one-day he'll get a life. SemperBlotto 21:21, 13 Apr 2005 (UTC)
- Perhaps that should be required for blocked addresses? Or for new users from a blocked IP, require a sysop/admin to patrol the new user's e-mail address before they can post? Max 10 new users per day per blocked IP? Anyone have an active account on meta to pass this suggestion/feature request on to the devs? --Connel MacKenzie 07:48, 14 Apr 2005 (UTC)
- The problem with this guy is that he knows quite a bit of networking and he is very good at highjacking other people's/universities IP-adressess. Even if we know one IP-address he uses and we are able to block that, he will come back very quickly from another IP-address and apparently he can keep this up with over 20 places. Frankly, I don't see what we can do about it. When he was posting obnoxious pictures on Christmas day, I asked a developer/sysadmin for the possibility to ban links to goatse.cx. The answer I got was that blocking sites was something that was only done as a measure against spammers and some wiki projects apparently used content from goatse.cx. I can't imagine what that would be, but OK, I had to accept that answer. So it seems like this guy has found a weak spot and he is taking full advantage of it. One day I questioned him about his motives and he claims to be doing it 'just for fun'. Kind of pathetic, but I guess people come in all kinds.
- Judging by his sophistication in being able to hop IP-adresses, I am afraid he is an adult, so hoping that it is a phase he will outgrow sooner rather than later is probably in vain.
- What the Wikimedia foundation should do, if he keeps this up, is to take steps with law enforcement. To make that successful each and every thing that smells like it might be coming from him should be noted somewhere centrally. That shouldn't be too hard. We know his style by now. Then it should be correlated with the records from the DB and all the IP adresses used. By weaving a web of all he does and the cooperation of the police and the university accounts he is using, it should be possible to come to a conclusion about who he is. It involves a lot of different parties to work together though and it is improbable that the offence is serious enough to warrant it.
- Maybe if one of use sysops gets a cardiac arrest and dies from seeing his vandalism again, we can claim he killed somebody and CSI Miami can get into action. I'd sure be interested in seeing that episode... Polyglot 13:10, 14 Apr 2005 (UTC)
- I'm very impressed with your analysis, though that last statement is a bit silly. If you really want to waste your time tracing my IPs, you'll find that all are public, guest, or otherwise "open" accounts. Most universities and libraries have them. (This one is in Russia). I'm quite careful not to leave footprints on the remote system, so I'm not concerned about tracing attempts. By the way, the number of systems I can use is more like 150, though I have a "favorite" set that are faster and more reliable. Oh, and verified email?? Come on! That wouldn't be a problem for a preschooler these days. Nevermind, this is just an amusing game to me. I'll eventually get tired of it. 184.108.40.206 20:38, 14 Apr 2005 (UTC)
- The idea of requesting a verified e-mail is the same as requesting users create an account...your recent usernames tend to follow a theme. --Connel MacKenzie 23:28, 16 Apr 2005 (UTC)
- I have, and I've been thinking of contacting them about Mr Pelican Shit for a while, now. I've just finally found the right place and done so. (m:Vandalism_reports#Pelican_Shit.2FAss_Pus.2FBugger) Uncle G 11:02, 14 Apr 2005 (UTC)
- Thank you! --Connel MacKenzie 23:28, 16 Apr 2005 (UTC)
- Today he was User:Yingyang SemperBlotto 07:42, 16 Apr 2005 (UTC)
- and User:Mumbaloo --Connel MacKenzie 22:52, 16 Apr 2005 (UTC)
- and this afternoon User:DougUp SemperBlotto 15:30, 17 Apr 2005 (UTC)
- This evening User:LePiddler SemperBlotto 21:21, 19 Apr 2005 (UTC)
- This morning User:Marcus Aspus boring or what? SemperBlotto 07:31, 20 Apr 2005 (UTC)
- This morning User:Bobber ho hum SemperBlotto 09:06, 21 Apr 2005 (UTC)
- This morning User:Mangananna ZZzzzzz SemperBlotto 07:30, 22 Apr 2005 (UTC)
- Yesterday was User:Bobtail Thanks go to User:Pumpie and especially User:Rich Farmbrough for the tedious cleanup! --Connel MacKenzie 16:15, 24 Apr 2005 (UTC)
- Today: User:Mobo. Get a life, will ya? \Mike 09:30, 29 Apr 2005 (UTC)
- Earlier: User:Beany. --Connel MacKenzie 05:47, 1 May 2005 (UTC)
- Earlier: User:Beavis. --Connel MacKenzie 05:47, 1 May 2005 (UTC)
- Earlier today: User:Mangle. Thanks Wonderfool & Uncle G. --Connel MacKenzie 04:40, 1 May 2005 (UTC)
- Once again as User:Butilla the Bun. Sigh. --Dvortygirl 06:36, 1 May 2005 (UTC)
- Now User:Buttzilla. Spotted after one edit --User:Wonderfool
- As a side note, I also saw only one edit when I went for the block button. I do not have my rss feed working to my liking - so it's still just random. By the time I blocked, three pages were created. (And most rss feeds throttle down to once every 5 minutes anyhow... :-( so it may remain random.) --Connel MacKenzie 23:20, 1 May 2005 (UTC)