Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Plural = dogs
- A member of the genus Canis (probably descended from the common wolf) that has been domesticated by man since prehistoric times; occurs in many breeds; "the dog barked all night" Usage Note: The word dog can be used to refer exclusively to the male of the genus, the feminine form being bitch.
- A dull unattractive unpleasant girl or woman; "she got a reputation as a frump"; "she's a real dog"
- Informal term for a man: "you lucky dog"
- Pejorative term for someone who is morally reprehensible; "you dirty dog"
- A hinged catch that fits into a notch of a ratchet to move a wheel forward or prevent it from moving backward [syn: pawl, detent, click]
- Metal supports for logs in a fireplace; "the andirons were too hot to touch"
- Go after with the intent to catch
- Nautical To fasten a hatch securely, "It is very important to dog down these hatches...." .