Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Around; all round; outside or on every side of.
- In the immediate neighborhood of; in contiguity or proximity to; near, as to place; by or on (one's person).
- Have you much money about you? - Bulwer
- Over or upon different parts of; through or over in various directions; here and there in; to and fro in; throughout.
- Near; not far from; -- determining approximately time, size, quantity.
- To-morrow, about this time. - Exodus 9:18
- She is about my height. - Shakespeare, Two Gentlemen of Verona, IV-iv
- He went out about the third hour. - Matthew 20:3
- Note: This use passes into the adverbial sense.
- In concern with; engaged in; intent on.
- I must be about my Father's business. - Luke 2:49
- (Before a verbal noun or an infinitive): On the point or verge of; going; in act of.
- Paul was now about to open his mouth. - Acts 18:14
- Concerning; with regard to; on account of; touching.
- Around (1)
- In the immediate neighborhood of (2)
- Over or upon different parts of (3)
- Near (4)
- In concern with (5)
- On the point or verge of (6)
- Concerning (7)
Translations to be categorized
- Albanian: me, afër, përreth, për, rrotull
- Bengali: (shawmparke)
- Indonesian: sekitar, sekeliling, kira-kira, dekat, tentang
- Kurdish: dor, li dor, dor, dorî
- Lithuanian: apie, aplink
- Russian: вокруг, примерно, о
- Telugu: గురించి, గుఱించి
- On all sides; around.
- 'Tis time to look about. - Shakespeare, King Lear, IV-vii
- In circuit; circularly; by a circuitous way; around the outside; as, a mile about, and a third of a mile across.
- Here and there; around; in one place and another.
- Wandering about from house to house. - 1 Timothy 5:13
- Nearly; approximately; with close correspondence, in quality, manner, degree, etc.; as, about as cold; about as high; -- also of quantity, number, time.
- There fell ... about three thousand men. - Exodus 22:28
- To a reserved position; half round; in the opposite direction; on the opposite tack; as, to face about; to turn one's self about.
- On all sides (1)
- In circuit (2)
- Here and there (3)
- Nearly (4)
- To a reserved position (5)